Sunday, September 8, 2013

A Soundtrack for Molly

By Brendon

Anyone who follows this blog knows we are faced with a significant date tomorrow… the anniversary of Molly's birth and loss. Sometimes we will refer to September 9th as her birthday, and sometimes we will simply call it "Molly Day," but no matter what we call it, it will always be an emotional date for us.

In honor of Molly Day, I thought it would be fitting to write about the "Molly" playlist that I mentioned in my last "guest post" here. Many people know that music has always been a significant part of my life. I'm not a musician (unless singing in the car and at karaoke counts), but more a collector and lover of music. I love to share good music and songs that are important to me, hence the mix CD gifts at our wedding six years ago and the 24 volumes of "Songs for Debra" CDs that I have given to my lovely wife since we met eight years ago.

Music can be such an important outlet and a way to process and channel emotions that otherwise might not come to the surface. Whatever a person is going through, song lyrics you never noticed before can suddenly scream in your ear, relating to your world and reassuring you that you're not alone. The song may have been written about something completely different, but you latch onto the emotion and make it your own.

After we lost Molly, music helped my brain work through some complex and painful feelings. It helped me feel things I needed to feel, and it kept Molly close to my heart as the months went by, reminding me of my love for her and the heartache of her loss.

I've been listening to my Molly playlist a lot lately. I would have shared so much music with her if she had lived, but for now the best I can do is to share these special songs with all of you. Maybe some of them will connect with you too. Below, I have taken some of the songs and pulled out the lyrics that are significant to me, along with a link to each song. At the end of this list, you'll find the full lyrics and link to a special song, "Gone Too Soon" by Daughtry. It is an emotionally powerful song that is an anthem for many bereaved parents and hits very close to home.

Thank you for reading, for letting me share this music, for supporting us, for giving us joy and hope, for making us laugh, and for keeping Molly in your hearts. One night several months ago, Cole told us that Molly sang to him in his bed. I can't wait to someday find out what songs she's been listening to and sharing.


"These Hard Times" – Matchbox Twenty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rwZJg40NLk

Oh, there's something missing
Oh, you never feel it but you
Oh, you're gonna feel it
When it's gone, when it's gone

Say goodbye, these days are gone
And we can't keep holding on
When all we need is some relief
Through these hard times


"Try" – Pink
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPtlSF4TlJE

But just because it burns
Doesn't mean you're gonna die
You've gotta get up and try, and try, and try
Gotta get up and try, and try, and try
You gotta get up and try, and try, and try

Ever worry that it might be ruined
And does it make you wanna cry?
When you're out there doing what you're doing
Are you just getting by?
Tell me are you just getting by, by, by


"Run" – Snow Patrol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLMyBBZmL2M

To think I might not see those eyes
Makes it so hard not to cry
And as we say our long goodbye
I nearly do

Light up, light up
As if you have a choice
Even if you cannot hear my voice
I'll be right beside you dear


"From Where You Are" – Lifehouse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tu-IGnL10c

So far away from where you are
These miles have torn us worlds apart
And I miss you, yeah I miss you

So far away from where you are
I'm standing underneath the stars
And I wish you were here

I miss the years that were erased
I miss the way the sunshine would light up your face
I miss all the little things
I never thought that they'd mean everything to me
Yeah I miss you
And I wish you were here

I feel the beating of your heart
I see the shadows of your face
Just know that wherever you are
Yeah I miss you
And I wish you were here


"Here Without You" – 3 Doors Down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlDInVqv8cs

Everything I know, and anywhere I go
It gets hard but it won't take away my love
And when the last one falls
When it's all said and done
It gets hard but it won’t take away my love

I'm here without you, baby
But you're still on my lonely mind
I think about you, baby
And I dream about you all the time
I'm here without you, baby
But you're still with me in my dreams
And tonight, girl, it’s only you and me


"Under Heaven’s Skies" – Collective Soul
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIKzYYKEH2k

If ever you think careless is the night
I'll comfort you with silence 'til the morning light
Wherever you turn, wherever you may roam
Whatever you conquer, I'll always be your home

Cause you're beautiful my love, when I close my eyes
yeah you're beautiful my love, under heaven's skies


"Gone, Gone, Gone" – Phillip Phillips
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=667tmLl8W74

So I would do it for you, for you.
Baby, I'm not moving on
I love you long after you're gone.
For you, for you.
You would never sleep alone.
I love you long after you're gone
And long after you're gone gone gone.

Like a drum, baby, don't stop beating
Like a drum my heart never stops beating

For you


"Open Your Eyes" – Snow Patrol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtAGQTKC89Q

All this feels strange and untrue
And I won't waste a minute without you
My bones ache, my skin feels cold
And I'm getting so tired and so old

The anger swells in my guts
And I won't feel these slices and cuts
I want so much to open your eyes
'Cause I need you to look into mine

Tell me that you'll open your eyes


"Perfect" - P!nk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BIye98Ryic

Pretty pretty please, don't you ever ever feel
Like you're less than, less than perfect.
Pretty pretty please, if you ever ever feel like you're nothing,
You are perfect to me!
    "Forever" – Vertical Horizon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7TYRHDGffI

And I don't know if you see me here
But I can tell you your face is clear
I will see you...

Forever
Forever
I will see you
Forever
Forever
I wanted you to be everything to me
Now I've got to learn to carry on
I know I cannot hide this emptiness inside
But nothing is the same since you've gone

Send me letters from above
Send me strength, send me love
Such sweet love
Sing me songs that echo in my head and in my heart
That's where you are

And I don't know if you feel me here
I can tell you one thing that's clear
I will feel you...

Forever


"Daughter" – Loudon Wainwright III
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trtUCX9aRm4

That's my daughter in the water
every time she fell I caught her.
Every time she fell.
That's my daughter in the water,
I lost every time I fought her.
Yea, I lost every time.


"Yellow" – Coldplay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91B9lOG8It8

Look at the stars,
Look how they shine for you,
And everything you do,
Yeah, they were all yellow.

Your skin,
Oh yeah your skin and bones,
Turn into
Something beautiful,
And you know,
For you I'd bleed myself dry,
For you I'd bleed myself dry.


"Baby Don’t You Cry" – Quincy Coleman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSY5E8Vvums

Baby here's the sun
Baby here's the sky
Baby I'm your light and I'm your shelter
Baby you are mine
I could freeze the time
Keep you in my kitchen with me forever
Gonna be a pie from heaven above
Gonna be filled with strawberry love
Baby don't you cry
Gonna make a pie
And hold you forever in the middle of my heart.


"Daylight" – Maroon 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg9Urm2_7xQ

Here I am staring at your perfection
In my arms, so beautiful
The sky is getting bright, the stars are burning out
Somebody slow it down

This is way too hard, cause I know
When the sun comes up, I will leave
This is my last glance that will soon be memory

And when the daylight comes I'll have to go
But tonight I'm gonna hold you so close
Cause in the daylight we'll be on our own
But tonight I need to hold you so close


"I Will" Matchbox Twenty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DzaisD5uSQ

If you go
Take a little piece of me
Hang it by the place you sleep
And dream of me
Don't leave

Just sleep away
Don't let it go
Don't let it fade
Your dreams may cave
And falling apart
It's the only way
We go so low
When you don't know
I will


"What Hurts the Most" Rascal Flatts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGzKCTDGxbU

What hurts the most
Was being so close
And having so much to say
And watching you walk away
And never knowing
What could have been
And not seeing that lovin' you
Is what I was tryin' to do


"Wake Me Up When September Ends" – Green Day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVO8sUrs-Pw

Here comes the rain again
Falling from the stars
Drenched in my pain again
Becoming who we are

As my memory rests
But never forgets what I lost
Wake me up when September ends

Summer has come and passed
The innocent can never last
Wake me up when September ends


"Gone Too Soon" – Daughtry

Today could have been the day,
That you blow out your candles,
Make a wish as you close your eyes.

Today could have been the day,
Everybody was laughing,
Instead I just sit here and cry,

Who would you be?
What would you look like,
When you looked at me for the very first time?
Today could have been the next day of the rest of your life.

Not a day goes by,
That I don't think of you,
I'm always asking why this crazy world had to lose,
Such a ray of light we never knew,
Gone too soon, yeah.

Would you have been president
Or a painter, an author, or sang like your mother?
One thing is evident,
Would've given all I had,
Would've loved you like no other.

Who would you be,
What would you look like,
Would you have my smile and her eyes?
Today could have been the next day of the rest of your life.

Not a day goes by,
That I don't think of you,
I'm always asking why this crazy world had to lose,
Such a ray of light we never knew,
Gone too soon, yeah.

Not a day goes by,
Oh
I'm always asking why.

Not a day goes by,
That I don't think of you,
I'm always asking why this crazy world had to lose,
Such a beautiful light we never knew,
Gone too soon,
You were gone too soon
Yeah.

Not a day goes by,
That I don't think of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment